Pictures and Videos - Page 1
(1800's to August 1997)
Click on the thumbnail images to see them full size.
The first nine photos on this page are from the collection of Dorothy Hull. They are of Crisp Point when it was only a lifesaving station and did not have a lighthouse yet. We are uncertain when the pictures were taken, but they were probably taken between 1898 and 1904. In the above photo, notice the man in the lookout tower with a megaphone.
In the above photo, Dorothy Hull's father, O.H. Bisbee, is the fourth man from the left. One of the other men in the picture might be named Cook.
From the collection of Dorothy Hull.
In this photo, just above the black dog, one can see Dorothy Hull in her father's (O.H. Bisbee's) arms. The woman on the far right is believed to be Miss Hunter. Dorothy's house is the log cabin to the right of center. The Cook's house is in the center. The Horman's house is top center. House on left may be the Packalone house.
From the collection of Dorothy Hull. On the back of this photo, it says that the Crisp Point station had to be moved back because a terrible storm made it necessary.
From the collection of Dorothy Hull.
The man in the black suit is Captain Hunter. From the collection of Dorothy Hull.
According to Dorothy Hull, the lifesaving station personnel had four hour shifts; two hours patrolling the beach and two hours in the lookout tower.
This is probably the tallest swing ever built on the shores of Lake Superior! From the collection of Dorothy Hull.
The above photo of the old fog horn building is from 1935. You can see the two horns coming out of the roof. Cables were attached to the horns to brace them against the severe weather they had to endure, such as heavy snowfall. The only things left of this building today are two chunks of concrete that the compressors and generators were mounted on. Sometimes when the sand is washed out you can see other parts on the lake bottom.
The small building behind and to the right of the fog horn building was the oil house. This is where they stored the fuel oil for the lantern room and for the engines in the fog horn building.
The above photo is from 1935 of the lighthouse and keeper's house.
This is a 1940's photo from Pat and Jerry Biggs' collection.
The above picture of the lighthouse and the two family brick light keeper's dwelling was taken sometime before the house was destroyed by the Coast Guard in 1965.
Another shot of the lighthouse and light keeper's house, taken sometime before 1965.
A family home video from 1958 at Vermillion Point and Crisp Point. If you know who this family is please let us know. Opens with Windows Media Player.
This picture was taken in 1993 by Sharon Zurcher. This view is from the south side of the lighthouse. Currently all that is left of the entrance building is the south wall.
The above picture was taken by Fred Zurcher in August of 1993.
The above picture was taken by Fred Zurcher in the summer of 1993.
C.P.L.H.S. Member Fred Zurcher enjoys a beautiful day in 1995 on the shore in front of Crisp Point. Where he is standing in the image has been eroded away and is now under water.
This picture was taken from the top of the lighthouse by Fred Zurcher in August 1996.
View from the top of the tower looking out north over Lake Superior. (Photo by Fred Zurcher, August 1996.)
This view is from the top of the tower looking down at the remnants of old concrete sidewalks that were placed in front of the tower by the Coast Guard when they destroyed most of the complex back in 1965. (Photo by Fred Zurcher, August 1996.)
This view is from the top of the tower looking west along the shoreline. (Photo by Fred Zurcher, August 1996.)
View from top of the lighthouse looking east along the shoreline. (Photo by Fred Zurcher, August 1996.)
View from tower looking southwest at coniferous forest. (Photo by Fred Zurcher, August 1996.)
This picture was taken from the top of the lighthouse looking west.
This picture was taken in the summer of 1996 from the top of the lighthouse looking east.
This picture was taken from the east side of the lighthouse in the summer of 1996.
C.P.L.H.S. Member Mike Simon puts a coat of primer paint on the door to the entrance building of the lighthouse. This picture was taken just a few months before most of the entrance building was destroyed.
This picture from the summer of 1996 clearly shows the reasoning behind our erosion concerns. (Photo by Cameron Lovett.)
This picture is from Summer 1996. (Photo by C. Lovett.)
The above picture was taken in 1996 by Fred Zurcher, who is a C.P.L.H.S. Member. This view is from the west side of the lighthouse and before the entrance building was destroyed.
The above picture was taken by Don and Nellie Ross sometime between December 1996 and March 1997. Notice that most of the service building is gone...only the front side and the door still remain. It seems ironic that the door, which was just painted in the summer of 1996, did not get washed away.
This picture was taken on a foggy day in August of 1997 by Fred Zurcher. This view is also from the west...notice that the roof of the entrance building (what is left of it) is laying on the beach just to the north of the lighthouse.
Crisp Point Light Historical Society Webmaster: Cameron Lovett
Email me with comments about the web site at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2010 Crisp Point Light Historical Society
Last Modified May 8, 2010